THOMAS J. TOMAZIN
Thomas J. Tomazin is a trial attorney with more than three decades of legal experience. Devoting his entire practice to litigation, Mr. Tomazin focuses on representing plaintiffs in various personal injury cases, including those involving injuries or death caused by motor vehicle accidents and medical and dental malpractice.
Thomas J. Tomazin is a native of Colorado. He was born in Trinidad and later moved to Lamar, Colorado where he graduated from high school. While in high school, he became the youngest licensed disc jockey in the State of Colorado at the age of 15.
Tom attended the University of Colorado at Boulder where he received a Bachelor’s of Science degree from the School of Business. He then attended the University of Denver College of Law where he received a Juris Doctorate degree in December, 1973. While attending Law School at night, Tom worked full-time at the Arapahoe County District Court House in Littleton, Colorado as a Law Clerk/Bailiff for Richard D. Greene from 1971 to 1974. This provided a unique opportunity to be able to observe the law in action in court on a daily basis while studying at night.
Tom was an Assistant Attorney General from 1974 to 1977, assigned to the appellate section. He handled exclusively criminal appeals and extradition matters for the Governor of the State of Colorado. As a result of a unique circumstance, he argued over 200 appeals before the Colorado Supreme Court and the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Tom entered private practice in 1977. He was with two different law firms where he gained experience in all aspects of civil litigation.
In 1983, Tom started his own law firm, Thomas J. Tomazin, P.C. located in the Denver Tech Center. His practice during this period of time has been all civil litigation with exclusive emphasis since 1992 for personal injury and professional negligence involving dental and medical negligence.
In 2016, Tom joined his long-time friend and former law partner from the late 1970’s, Neil Hillyard. Together they were joined by Penelope L. Clor, an RN JD, and formed Tomazin Hillyard & Clor, LLP. Michong Son, an attorney who has been working with Tom for the past 10 years, is also a member of the law firm.
Tomazin Hillyard & Clor specializes in personal injury litigation including automobile collisions, medical and dental negligence and product liability.
From 1977 to the present, Tom has been a member of the American Association for Justice, formerly American Trial Lawyers Association, the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, the Colorado Bar Association and the Arapahoe County Bar Association.
Tom has been a Board of Director of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association from 2004 through the present. He was a Board of Director for the Arapahoe County Bar Association from 1995 to 2013. During that same period, he was the Chairperson of the Speakers Bureau. He was elected to and held various positions as an Officer of the Arapahoe County Bar Association including President from 2010 to 2011.
In the past, Tom enjoyed running in his spare time, including running several marathons. More recently, he has become involved with road bicycling including several week-long tours. He enjoys downhill skiing, travel, cooking and music. His four older sons range from age 34 to 43. His youngest son, who is his 14-year-old biological grandson, keeps him actively involved in many pursuits!
Professional Memberships, Admissions & Associations
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1974 – Present
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, 1977 – Present
- Colorado Bar Association, 1977 – Present
- Arapahoe Bar Association, 1977 – Present
- American Association for Justice formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1977 – Present
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, Chairperson Speakers Bureau, 1995 – Present
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Director, 2004 – Present
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, President , 2010 – 2011
- Colorado Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2010 – 2011
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, President Elect, 2009 – 2010
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, Treasurer, 2008 – 2009
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, Secretary, 2007 – 2008
Professional Awards, Distinctions & Honors
- Awarded the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016
- Contributing author for the Colorado Courtroom Handbook for Civil Trials, 2016 Edition
- Thomas J. Tomazin, P.C., Greenwood Village, Colorado, 1983 – 2016
- Lee & Marturano, P.C., Englewood, Colorado, 1979 – 1983
- Branney, Griffith & Hillyard, Englewood, Colorado, 1977 – 1979
- Office of Attorney General, State of Colorado, Assistant Attorney General, 1974 – 1977
- University of Denver College of Law – Juris Doctorate, 1973
- University of Colorado, Boulder – Bachelor of Science, Finance & Real Estate, 1970
- Smith v. Jeppsen, 227 P.3d 224,CO 32 (2012) (2012)
- Koh v. Kumar, 207 P.3d 900 (Colo. App. 2009) (2009)
- Daugherty v. Allstate, Ins. Co., 55 P.3d 224 (Colo. App. 2002) (2002)
- Newell v. Engle, 899 P.2d 245 (Colo. 1992) (1992)
- Shepard v. Wilhelm, 41 Colo. App. 403, 591 P.2d 1039 (Colo. App. 1978) (1978)
CONTACT THOMAS TODAY
5445 DTC Parkway Suite 1036,
Greenwood Village, CO. 80111
By Appointment Only
1624 Market Street, Suite 202
Denver, Colorado 80202